Monday, July 27, 2009

The 56 Mile Half Century

Well it was hot, long, tiring, and AWESOME! I finished the 50 mile route (+6 due to a wrong turn) of the Seattle Century. I got to ride with some really fun people. Everyone seemed like they were having a good time, even though the road directions didn't match the map and a few of us got lost (I saw more than one person checking the ride map which wasn't very accurate). I was 3 minutes under my goal time of 4 hours. I was completely exhausted when it was over, it still hurts to walk up or down stairs. To give everyone a rough idea of the course. It started in Magnuson Park (near the University of Washingtion), went north west through Bothell, east into Woodinville, south into Redmond, then Bellevue, I took a wrong turn here and went east into Issaquah, then west along I-90 along the water over Mercer Island (horrible hills), and finally back into Seattle and north back to Magnuson Park. Whew! Here are the stats that I tracked (since I'm a data nerd):
  • Total Ride Distance: 56 miles
  • Total Ride Time: Just under 4 hours
  • Average Pace: 14.1 mph
  • Max Speed: 29 mph
  • Approximate Number of Calories Burned (calculated): 3,000 (I'm still hungry)
  • Starting Temp: 72
  • Ending Temp: 89ish (felt like 110)
Overall it was a great experience and I'm going to start training harder for the next event. More distance riding and faster time. Oh, pictures will be coming at some time, I haven't even seen them yet.

1 comment:

  1. Check out Nick's event pictures in our Picasa photo album!! He did amazing!!

    ReplyDelete