Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gardening Season - it's started!

In case you were unaware, gardening season has officially begun. I received my most favorite seed catalog from Seeds of Change back in January and have been drooling over the pretty pictures. I organized my seeds from last year and found what I could save and use this year; threw out what didn't work last year (FYI - Nasturtium attract aphids like crack); made my list of new seeds I'll need this year and have been outside getting things ready. I need to still empty out 3 of my gardening boxes from last year and will refill with new compost from Cedar Grove and will refresh the rest of the boxes with said compost. The awesome thing is that my tomatoes I planted way back in the fall are now almost 3 feet tall and itching to bloom - which means (crossing fingers) we might have tomatoes come April/May. I've planted my indoor starts - peppers (sweet and chili), cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, pear tomatoes and eggplant. Next month I'm going to plant my cold hardy seeds - lettuce, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, onions and squash.

Nick and I built our first compost bin which will be used for food compost using red worms. I've decided to try my hand at using red worms and I cannot wait to see what my pretty white box will yield. We'll build the open-air yard waste compost bin this next weekend.

I'm working on something new and exciting with a work buddy, involving food and health and I can't wait to see what will happen - stayed tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment