Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Composting is for the worms

As many of you know, I've been working on composting for a couple of years and have been failing miserably. This year, I'm done with failure and have made two compost bins - one for food waste and one for yard waste. For the food waste bin, I will be purchasing red worms and they will be making the compost for me. The yard waste bin, I have to do the work myself. I have promised Nick that I won't make him touch it since he was such a wonderful man and built the bins for me (and he gags easily!). The worm bin has a nice little bed of starter material in it (moldy food scraps, shredded paper and torn newspaper) and just needs some very ugly red worms added to it.

The yard waste bin is done as well. We put in some moldy food, shredded paper and the top part of the heinous, galvanized trash can composter gone bad material that was salvageable. Oh, that's a story in itself - I shan't gross you with the details. Let it be said that if you want to use a galvanized trash can, you must punch holes at various levels along the sides and then bury the bottom 2 feet so the moisture can drain out.



The best way to get started composting is to research what works best for where you live. The galvanized trash can works well for yard and food waste, but remember the tips above. Check out this hilarious article about making a worm farm. Here are some great resources for finding out about composting and worm bins:

No comments:

Post a Comment