Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. ~Napolean Hill
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Turnovers, Refrigerators, Wine Labels, Composters and Roses...
A weekend filled with delights, frustrations and interesting smells...
This last weekend was an interesting one for Nick and I. Friday started with Tim coming over to pull an all-nighter with Nick computer gaming and we ended up playing on Guitar Hero: World Tour on the Wii for some time before Nick & Tim started on their festivities. Lots of fun! Nick climbed into bed around 5:30 on Saturday morning... Saturday Nick slept until noon while I started trying to make turnovers so I could use our CSA berries before they went bad. Well, the dough turned out too thin and the berries too juicy. The dough being too thin should have been my first clue that something was up because the dough was supposed to be chilled for an hour and it wasn't very chilly when I took it out of the fridge. Anywho, the turnovers quickly became a cobbler, that due to the juiciness of the berries caused my topping to sink; however, it tasted lovely and has been dessert for the week.
Once Nick got up I decided to make breakfast/brunch; went to the freezer to get out some veggie sausage links and they were thawed. I don't have any idea why our refrigerator decided to go on the fritz, but by Saturday evening we realized we needed to start trying to fix the problem. Can I just say that there are some things no one wants to ever see in their own house?!? Things under the fridge is one of them! Just to share the joy...
EEEWWWW!!! At 8:30 p.m. we realized that we needed to do something more drastic. We did an online search, called Lowe's and the fridge we wanted was in-stock. We rushed down to the store and after explaining the situation Lowe's was kind enough to waive the delivery date and deliver our new, albeit somewhat unwanted, new fridge. After purchasing the fridge we drove down to the store and picked up a bunch of ice to create our own mini refrigerator's with all our coolers and to put some ice blocks in the old fridge.
Sunday our new fridge arrived in the afternoon and we had a lovely time setting it all up and getting our food back to the 21st century! I don't know how they did it long time ago!!
Nick wants me to tell you that the coolest thing about our fridge is that it has a pocket on the inside where he can store his Mountain Dew 12 packs.
From now on we will pay better attention to the needs of our appliances - such as cleaning them...
Another day this week I was picking up some things at Fred Meyer and spotted this hilarious bottle of wine!
I do enjoy wine, but I love the labels even more and have become somewhat obsessed with collecting them. I doubt I will ever drink this bottle, but I had to have the label!
On Monday I was thrilled to have my ECOmposter arrive! Nick was amazing and put it together for me and on Tuesday evening I put all the "goodies" that I'd been saving over the last few weeks inside and am starting the thrilling process of waiting for soil. However, Wednesday after work I went out to turn the thing like I'm supposed to and I cannot even express in words the aroma wafting off my green globe. It was like every worst smell you've ever imagined, all thrown into one giant container! To top it off, I had a fly problem; not just a few flies, we're talking Lord of the Flies problem. The flies were coating my glorious green globe, the side of the house and the ground under the globe. The globe was promptly moved to a new location closer to the garden plot, where it can happily drip onto the rocks and rot to its heart's content.
The flies have left and after adding some grass clippings I think the smell is actually starting to decrease. More to come on the joys of making dirt...
To end our "weekend" of adventure (I use weekend loosely as I am writing this on Thursday; right before another weekend!), I walked around the backyard today and discovered that my roses are displaying their usual fall fashion; one of the benefits of living in Seattle is that I have roses blooming in September and sometimes until October. I decided to pick a few and display them. The scent and color of fresh roses is unlike anything out there, hot house roses have nothing on fresh garden grown! I have no idea the names of the red's or yellow, but the pinkish one is called "Lavender Ice", smells divine and was Nick's and my wedding reception rose. My grandma took one of the roses, made a start and created two rose bushes. One year she gave me two starts and only one has survived, but ironically, this year it showed off exactly 9 blooms at one time while Nick and I celebrated our 9 year anniversary in August.
Labels:
cobbler,
composting,
ECOmposter,
Lowe's,
refrigerator,
roses,
wine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment