I started my Masters degree at the end of September and have hardly had a chance to lift my head out of the books except to go to work and try and spend time with Nick. This first quarter was the hardest thing I've ever done!! I'm learning so much and with this program being completely different from nursing I feel as though I'm learning a new language - I'm being challenged in my thinking, my beliefs, how I view the world and engage with everything around me. I am looking forward to next quarter and taking my first elective (Environmental Politics) that is geared towards the goals I hope to accomplish with this degree; next quarter I'll also be spending some time out at Jubilee Farm with Erick and Wendy!! I thought I'd share a few photos of some of the study stations I've been occupying this quarter (the carolers were a "bonus" at one of our group project work sessions!):

One of the crazy things at the UW Bothell Campus is the nightly bird horror show. It's like being on the set of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. We're not sure where the crows come from or why they choose to cover nearly every surface each night at UWB, but it is quite the freak show!!

The big event that happened during this quarter was that I sold my lovely Jeep and bought a gorgeous 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I could not be happier!! This car embraces everything Nick and I are trying to do with being green, saving fuel and creating a healthier environment. The kicker - I have bought 3.5 tanks of diesel after putting almost 1,800 miles on this baby. So thrilled!!
Nick and I were so privileged to attend a book release for this really amazing lady that I met at work one day! Her name is Erika Klimecky and she spent a month traveling the Everest Highway with a group of musicians raising money and awareness for the 7 Summits Foundation. This lady has inspired me so much and you should check out her website here and her husband, Chris', music here. You can also see Clint McCune's work through Soul Food Books here. This is such a great group of people!

I think those are the main highlights of the quarter, but stay tuned for more great things to come!!
Thanks so much for the updates. It is always fun to hear what is happening in your life. It makes me feel that the miles between us are not as many. Happy Holidays!
ReplyDelete