Tis the season for gardening to come to a close, experience the bounties of harvest (if you don't live in Seattle this year!) and tuck the garden boxes in for winter. I've pulled out my beans; all the potatoes, carrots and onions are dug with the potatoes and carrots being stored in sand; we've put up our tomato sauce for winter; Nick has canned ketchup and the freezer is fast approaching FULL. We plan to put up some quarts of pears, dry apples and put up some quarts of applesauce. The applesauce I'm doing with my mom and I think it's going to be so much fun! Right now we are enjoying the colors of fall showing up at the market, the richness of Honey Crisp apples and pears, the fantastic variety of peppers and bike rides in the crisp, sunny air. There is some sadness with tucking in the garden, but we still have corn that we're pulling, a few baby squash here and there, handfuls of tomatoes and some romanesco that we will hopefully have by November. I'm hoping to grow my herbs through the winter by covering them, but nothing too crazy.
This last weekend Nick and I were in The Dalles, OR, for a highschool friends wedding (Dwight Summers & Heidi Baldwin). We had an amazing time catching up with friends from highschool and celebrating with Dwight and Heidi. Friday night was rehearsal and a wonderful dinner at a local Italian restaurant. Nick and I went out for breakfast at a local diner - Momma Jane's - amazing!! - on Saturday morning and then hung out by the pool at our hotel until time to get ready for the wedding. The wedding was beautiful and perfect! We headed home on Sunday morning with a detour along the historical highway, a stop at the top for a fantastic view of the Columbia Gorge and then a stop at Multnomah Falls where we had a lovely breakfast and then a short walk up to the bridge, where we were soaked with rain and waterfall spray, but it was a spectacular site. We had a wonderful weekend and it was fun to get away and catch up with friends.



No comments:
Post a Comment