Two weekends in summary:
Nick and I enjoyed the last day at the farmer's market on October 30th and on a whim decided to drive up to Leavenworth to check out the fall colors. The leaves were gorgeous and we stopped along the river to take some pictures. In Leavenworth we walked around and ate lunch, bought a camera (our battery died at our first stop), took Jack for a walk down by the river, bought some chocolates and headed home. We also found handfuls of chestnuts to try roasting. We celebrated Halloween by passing out candy and watching our traditional Halloween movies of Corpse Bride and Young Frankenstein. The garden is officially tucked in with mesh on top of the boxes and burlap over the roses and herbs. I also planted some seeds of lettuce and cherry tomatoes to see if we can grow summer through the winter.
On Friday, November 5th, we headed for Walla Walla for canning applesauce with my mom. Over the weekend we celebrated my mom's birthday, ate a pre-Thanksgiving dinner with Nick's family and then the big event of canning on Sunday. We started at about 7:15 in the morning getting things set-up, cleaned and ready to go. The first apples started being cut at about 8 a.m. and we just went through batch after batch. I used 3 varieties of apples - jonagolds, galas and honey crisp; the goal was to use the least amount of sugar possible and I was successful at that and only used about a cup of sugar per batch. I ended up with 34 quarts for Nick and I for this winter/next year - about 9 quarts more than I planned for! Overall our stats were: 238 pounds of apples, 7 different varities, 14.25 hours, one trash bag full of apple pulp, 134 quarts of applesauce and 4 very tired ladies. We lifted the last jar out of the canner at 9:30 Sunday night. On top of that my mom made 8 loaves of homemade bread of which we indulged in while still hot and slathered in butter.






No comments:
Post a Comment