I love fall - the colors change, you get to mow the lawn a little less, crisp afternoon walks, snuggling under the blankets with a cup of tea and a good book. This year I think we're skipping fall and heading straight for a la nina winter.
We opened our first jar of canned pears and it was quite delish if I do say so myself. The pears were a little firmer as some of my pears weren't completely ripe, but still tasty. So I guess that means our "experiment" has officially started it's winter portion. The question is: have we put up enough produce to survive the winter eating only the fruits of our labor (no fruit in season during the winter!)? I am hoping to make a huge batch of a couple different soups and put them in individual containers for lunches that can be easily pulled from the freezer. Just wanted to show you some pictures of one of our favorite veggies: Romanesco. We polished off about 3/4 of one head and then ate the 2 small ones out of our own garden; the rest I froze and put up 4 large quart size bags. This veggie tastes like a combo of broccoli and cauliflower, but much milder and very yummy. Hard to find, but worth the effort and price!
After completely tucking in the garden this coming weekend and canning applesauce the first weekend in November, I feel like we'll be ready for winter; predicted to be the worst winter in 55 years. I think we're almost ready!
Wow Rachel--you sound like Superwoman!
ReplyDeleteWould you please e-mail me some of that Romanesco? Sounds yum-wonderful!