Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's in the food...

After much reading, researching and discussion Nick and I are on the road to being healthier in 2010. I have become a number one fan of Michael Pollan and have read several of his books and watched a couple of his documentaries. It's scary stuff, but vital knowledge to have! Food Inc., Botany of Desire, Omnivore's Dilemma, In Defense of Food and Food Rules have all become a part of our plan to eat healthier. It felt so good to walk out of Central Market on Sunday knowing that what we had in our reusable grocery bags was organic, whole food and mainly local.

I went out and turned over my compost on Sunday and it looks wonderful! We are so excited to start a garden this spring and use the square foot gardening method. Lindsay and I are in the throws of picking out what we want to plant, materials needed, layout, etc. If you have limited space or have a large space and want to spend less work on your garden check out www.squarefootgardening.com. It's pretty amazing!

We're also planning on returning to the Redmond Farmer's Market the minute it starts on May 2nd. This summer I want to can my own tomato sauce and applesauce; freeze corn, carrots, squash; and dry numerous herbs, fruit and veggies.

Nick and I enjoyed the fruits of our labors (not really labor considering it was just a matter of picking things off the shelves and out of bins, but a bit more labor then usual!) with a dinner consisting of: mixed greens salad, homemade salad dressing, and spinach fettucini with a fantastic aged parmesean cheese sauce. I don't know if it was just the company or the fact that the food was local and organic, but I swear the food tasted better. *If you're interested in recipes, just drop me an e-mail*

Nick and I are pretty excited about this journey we've started and it feels good to be giving back to the environment, to know where our food is coming from, how it was grown and there's more appreciation for our food with the effort we're putting into it. We'll keep you posted on how it's going and pictures will be coming as we start putting things together!

No comments:

Post a Comment